Friday, September 1, 2017

FIRST FRIDAY

HOORAY!  We completed our first official week of High Ability.  It was a great week seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new ones.  The kids were just as excited as I was to start HA.  



Just a reminder, this is our weekly blog where you will see all of the AMAZING things the students work on throughout the week.  In a normal blog I will break into two sections - Language Arts and Math.  Each grade will have their own area within each section.  I will give a brief explanation of what the students are working on in class.  I will also share some photographs of each grade level. In the blog I will include a calendar of important dates from around the school. The blog is a great tool I utilize to allow you to have a window into our classroom.


Around the School
September 4th: Labor Day - No School
September 12th: Early Dismissal - 1:45 for Elementary
September 13th: Picture Day
September 25th -29th: College Week







This week all classes participated in the same activities, so I am just going to have one section.  On Monday and Thursday, the students viewed a slideshow teaching them about our classroom.  We went over procedures and expectations the students our expected to follow when in my classroom. I ended the day sharing some information about myself.


I also reminded the students they will be receiving a DOJO point when visiting my room as a part of our school-wide behavior plan. I explained to the students that they will receive one warning when in the room and after that it would be a loss of a DOJO point for the day.  They are only in my room for 30 minutes so I stressed the importance of utilizing all of our class time for instruction and not corrections. I don't see this being a problem going forward, but wanted them to understand what would be a loss of point.

The second day of class we turned it around and it was all about the students.  It was a perfect chance for us to get-to-know each other. Some activities they participated in were guess the mystery student, get-to-know you bingo, or a get-to-know you quilt. Some of my classes completed a following directions worksheet. This activity had a twist at the end. If they followed the directions they were to turn it in without completing any of the silly questions - I was able to trick a few students with this activity! It was a fun day with each class as they completed different activities.


After meeting with my groups this week, I am even more excited for this school year. It is going to be a great year with lots of fun activities planned for each grade. Next week, we will be diving right into our materials.

Looking forward to a great year,
Ms. Losinski

No comments:

Post a Comment